I am reflecting at the moment on the variety of portfolio/reflection/research possibilities open to me. I have this blog which I used regularly last year. I have a Google sites portfolio, which is the new expectation and hence I have neglected this blog somewhat.
I have many ideas that I have collected to use in my teaching on Pinterest and I save articles that I want to read and video links etc to Evernote. I also have my children's class blog that is primarily added to by me, but it is the children's work.
The reason I save to Pinterest is because I find the ideas on Pinterest and it is easiest to save straight to my account.
Evernote is the same. It is an option when saving or sharing and it is what I started to use several years ago.
The question now is how to collate these into one, easy to manage space.
My concern with all things "CYBER" is that you no sooner try something that you like and then you find something newer and "better?" I feel this is the case with Google Sites. I don't like the way I am using this for my professional portfolio, as it is quite confusing to find your way around and therefore difficult to present my reflections and research in a way that suits me.
I am going to a ACET meeting tomorrow run by the NZEI, and am hoping they will be able to give me further direction with what my portfolio needs to look like.
Personally I am not writing to share my pearls of wisdom, I am writing to record and reflect my learning so that I know what I've done and can substantiate my actions with research or ideas from others.
Hi Robyn
ReplyDeleteGreat reflective post! I too struggle with the number of platforms and most of it is about personal preference. I do still see the blog realm as a completely different vehicle. I believe this is more of a reflective tool that may or may not reach a wider audience. But - I see the Google site as the private collection of my professional world. I would like to discuss this further with you in light of your recent meeting re ACET, and see how this has influenced your thinking.
1 further point I would like to make... I believe that an on-line portfolio is the way of the future for teaching. The platform we choose is our personal preference. We don't have (and can't expect to have) all the answers yet and so this is definitely a work in progress!
Myra