Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Term 2 goals

The Junior Syndicate are looking at starting a Junior ICT group,at lunchtime, as well as having a Junior ICT KC group on a Friday afternoon. Hopefully we can have all Juniors turning the computers on and off correctly and logging in by themselves. We want the children to be conversant with the keyboard and able to type in their name on Microsoft Word. We will work on changing fonts etc, and inserting word art, clipart, and photos. That's one goal!...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rob
    That sounds like a really cool idea! They would certainly love that. I am so pleased to be able to do the ICT KC club - however, if someone else in your team would rather be doing this, then I am happy to swap too. I could do jump jam instead? what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn
    Agree with Myra, and after talking with her today I am aware of how important it is that we don't 'walk before we can run' with the junior students. I do wonder though... is it possible to teach the key boards skills you have identified in a context? The other thing is repetition so the kids get really confident on the key board.
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Room 2 are learning their computer skills within a meaningful context. They have written a short blog entry about the ways they can manage themselves at home. Their next goal is to create a picture on Microsoft Word. This is to teach them how to find their way around the tool bars, to recognise icons, as well as using the mouse to click and drag on the correct part of the picture to get the desired result. Last term the pics were animals and now we're doing wheels.
      I've hooked my old laptop up in my room and some children have been typing their story straight on to the computer. Hard work! Key board skills are like printing and phonics, until they have learned the basics this a frustrating exercise for them because it is so time consuming,e.g. finding the letters, working out what they did to lose everything,etc. I can't imagine that they are getting all their creative ideas written down??
      So I agree, practice would obviously be the answer and some of the typing apps are a fun way for the children to get to know the keyboard.
      I'm looking forward to setting some children up on netbooks and watching their typing improve. I imagine netbooks are a good size for children to manage the correct keys when typing.

      Delete